Young
Adult Fiction Too Dark?
This article, “Has Young
Adult Fiction Become Too Dark”, by Mary Elizabeth Williams, is a response to Megan
Cox Gurdon’s recent article, “Darkness Too Visible”. Williams mostly talks
about how young adult fiction can and cannot be bad for teens. She mostly
proves Gurdon’s claims wrong, like how she exaggerates when she talks about the
content in young adult books. In addition, Williams explains how Gurdon can be
misleading throughout her article. Adding on, Mary gives honest opinions about
what she thinks of young adult fiction, and if teens should be reading it or
not. For example, she admits, “YA section of your bookstore can be a pretty
damn grim place, rife with everything from angsty vampires to sex abuse to
bullying. And no, not all of it is great literature.”
Throughout
the articles, Williams gives little hints of what she wants us to think or
feel. In the article, she makes Gurdon look so misleading; making us think that
she is giving out false details that we shouldn’t acknowledge what she claims
about young adult books. For example, Williams says, “And when she clumsily insists,
‘publishers use the vehicle of fundamental free-expression principles to try to
bulldoze coarseness or misery into… children’s lives’, she fails to acknowledge
the coarseness and misery already inherent in adolescence. She assumes that
coarseness and misery- and profanity, and violence, and sex- are in and of
themselves unsuitable subject matter, regardless of the quality of the writing.
That’s where she goofs up big time.” In addition, she proves Gurdon wrong by
using better and truthful facts. For example, she asked her daughter what she
thought of Gurdon’s article and she said, “Does she get it that they’re not called
‘children’s’ books? They’re ‘young adult’ Adult.”
In addition, Williams wants us to feel like we can trust young adult books, she
explains how most young adult books can relate and help troubled teens.
Overall,
this article has changed the way I look at YA books and how I feel about them, I
feel like I can relate to the books more. Adding on, I changed what I thought on
this issue, I now support young adult books because they change most teen’s life
and they can teach memorable lessons for us in the future. However, I would like
to know more about how many teens had there life changed from a young adult book.
No comments:
Post a Comment