I
am currently reading the book, “weetzie bat” by Francesca Lia Block”. This book
is about a teenage girl named Weetzie. She meets a boy named Dirk at a bar and
soon or later become best friends with him. They go everywhere together, to
rock concerts, different bars, parties, etc. When they became really close,
Dirk had confessed that he is gay. Thus, he and Weetzie decided to find “Ducks”
(soul mates) for each other. They would search every party they went to, every
bar, every concert, they pretty much search everywhere. Both Dirk and Weetzie
had found people, but just not the right ones. For example, Weetzie kept going
out with the wrong kind of guys, the ones that didn’t treat her right,
meanwhile, Dirk just couldn’t find the ONE.
Then, one day while Weetzie and Dirk were at Fifi’s house, Dirks grandmother,
Fifi had given Weetzie a gift, it was an old dusty lamp. When Weetzie went home
that night, she decided to clean the dusy lamp, suddenly, a genie came out of
nowhere and granted her three wishes, one, was for Dirk to find love, two was
for her to find “Her Secret Agent Lover Man” (her soul mate), and three was for
her and Dirk to have a beautiful house to live in. Not thinking any of these
wishes would come true, Weetzie never talked about it… that was until they did.
Overall, a lot of things that I thought would never expect would happen. But then
again, things that I did expect to happen, did.
While
reading this book many events occurred that I absolutely had no idea would
happen. One example, was the genie coming out of the lamp. I thought it was
just a gift that Fifi wanted to give her for good luck or something, but it was
way different. Instead, she gave her last set of wishes to Weetzie. Another
example, was for Dirk to be gay. At first, I thought Dirk only went up to
Weetzie at the bar so that they could hook up or something, but then they
started to hang out more, which made me think that he just wants to ask her out
in a romantic way, not too slow or quick. But, he just confessed that he was
gay. In addition, I never thought that the wishes would come true but they did.
Dirk found his true love, in fact, his name is Duck. So did Weetzie, she found
her true love, and his name is actually My Secret Agent Lover Man. Overall, a
lot of weird and unexpected things occurred throughout the book.
Although
unexpected things happened, some expected things also happened. For example, I knew
that Weetzie was going to find her true love because Dirk did, which means her
wishes are going to come true. Adding on, I knew that Fifi’s house was going to
become Dirk’s and Weetie’s because it was also one of her wishes. Another example
is when Weetzie said she wanted a baby (but her spouse objected to that idea)
and Dirk and Duck helped her with that. I knew that Dirk was going to help her
have a baby because he himself wanted his own child, thus, Dirk, Weetzie, and
Duck had slept together and Weetzie became pregnant. Moreover, I knew that My
Secret Lover Man was going to get mad about the pregnancy because one, he didn’t
want to have a kid, and two, it means Weetzie had cheated on him. Overall, a little
expected things also occurred throughout the book.
In
conclusion, both expected and unexpected events occurred while reading this
book. Adding on, this book was very interesting, however, it was also very
weird. Overall, this book was very entertaining.
Great Job! This book seems very interesting. I think it was cool that you didn't know what was going next. Everything was a surprise and every time something weird popped up. I felt that the author did this to keep you on your toes and to keep you interested. Though, for some people this book might not appeal to them. Why do you think the author did this? Do you like books that constantly surprise you. Amazing job!
ReplyDeleteGreat questions from Hanin - you should answer them, Amani!
ReplyDeleteI think the author did this to make the reader more interested in the book, like make the reader want to know what would happen next because everything else was unexpected. Additionally, I do enjoy reading books that surprise me because its not like other books, thus, its more interesting.
ReplyDelete